We regularly hold Beginners' Courses, both indoors at Casterton College Rutland and outdoors at Greetham Valley. These courses are run by our highly experienced and qualified team of coaches with the support of other club members, as needed. All of the coaches are registered with Archery GB and are DBS certificated.
Indoor courses consist of 6 1½ hour sessions on a Monday evening from 19.30 to 21.00. Outdoor courses are held on Saturdays from 10.00 to 16.00 and consist of two sessions.
Dates of Courses 2020
13th January to 24th February 2020 (Indoors) please note no session Monday 17th January due to half term holiday
18th & 25th April 2020 (Outdoors)
Further outdoor course dates are due for the summer.
Please note dates may change depending on weather and unforeseen circumstances.
At the end of the course you will:
- Know and understand the Safety rules and Etiquette of the sport
- Be familiar with the basic equipment used in Target Archery
- Have an understanding of the Organisation of Archery within the United Kingdom and the World
- Know and understand the scoring systems used in Target Archery
- Know and understand the basic shooting rules of Target Archery
- Know and understand the principles of rounds, which are shot in Target Archery
- Have received information on other forms of Archery
- Have knowledge of, and have received advice on, the selection of your personal equipment
- Be able to consistently hit a 60 cm. target at a distance of 12 metres
- Have received a certificate confirming that you have completed a beginner’s course in Target Archery
The Cost? – £55.00 for adults and £30.00 for children (Under 18). All children must also be accompanied by a responsible adult who need not necessarily take part in the course.
All equipment will be provided, free of additional charge for the duration of the course.
Photography? – we are very sorry but no unauthorised photography will be allowed because of current legislation.
What to wear? – loose, baggy clothing is NOT suitable as it will impair your shooting. Long hair should be tied back for safety reasons. Indoors, shoes should be flat and suitable for a sports hall. Outdoors, sturdy footwear is advisable and, as the course will take place whatever the weather, please bring warm, waterproof clothing that you can put on when not shooting.
Should you wish to purchase your own equipment, you are advised not to do so until the end of the course. During the course your coach will be able to assess your individual needs and will be able to advise on the bow type and arrow specification best suited to those needs. If you already have your own equipment please have it checked by your coach to ensure its safety and suitability.
We assure you of a very warm welcome and hope that you will enjoy the archery course.